Wednesday, April 11, 2012

One Stem . . .

In this month's American Patchwork & Quilting magazine there are some really beautiful quilts and projects.  Love the Bounty of Baskets designed by Betsy Chutchianof BETSYSBESTQUILTSANDMOREBLOGSPOT.COM 
little pillow, the modern table runner by Amy Walsh of Blue Underground Studios, and the Sweet Centerpiece designed by Helen Stubbings of HUGS 'N KISSES.NET.  But as soon as I saw A Single Stem designed by Kathy Cardiff of THE COTTAGEATCARDIFFFARMS.COM, I knew I had to do it.  But as usual, I only used the template and added the fabrics I love and wanted. 

Instead of using wool, I chose linen as the background and cotton fabrics for flower.  I chose to just use one flower petal and just cut them out randomly and placed them on the linen to applique.  The stem and leaves were also added using cotton.  For the center of the flower I covered a button and added some bling by using glitter glue.  After appliqueing the flower to the linen, I found a piece of coordinating fabric to sandwich between layers of linen to pull together the frayed look.  I sewed three sides together on the outside so that the fabrics would show some fraying using a small zig zag stitch and then stuffed the pillow.  To finish it off, I sewed the bottom using the same zig zag stitch and just look how cute it turned out.


Then I placed it along side a pillow I made from selvages and added to my new chair . . .


Again, this month's American Patchwork & Quilting magazine is a really good one and worth the money!

Remember enjoy the process and just have FUN with your quilting and sewing projects!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment